Monday, April 27, 2015

My First Subscription Box: April Birchbox



Subscription boxes - I feel like I have a love/hate opinion about these things. I love that you can sample different things without having to pay a lot of money, but then there's the chance of getting a box of products that you don't like at all. Plus, there's the whole issue of getting dinky sized samples that aren't very effective or you feel like you got ripped off for the amount of money you paid. But then! You might discover a new product love. 

Cue the Birchbox. I've always contemplated trying out a subscription box service and there are so many out there nowadays. I think the Birchbox is one of the first subscription box services that I heard about before these services became extremely popular. 

You get 5 samples in each box and it costs $14.95 ($10.00 plus $4.95 for shipping and handling) per month in Canada. For the month of April, Birchbox was running a promotion where if you subscribe to the service for the first time, then you get a free Beauty Blender and mini solid cleanser and the special Rifle Paper Co. print box. I definitely signed up to get the free Beauty Blender and the pretty box (I love anything made by Rifle Paper Co.). 



So, what samples did I get?

Beauty Blender (full size), mini solid cleanser, mini liquid cleanser: The Beauty Blender alone costs $26, so the cost of the box has already been covered. I actually haven't tried out a Beauty Blender before, so this was a great opportunity to get the box. I like that they included a sample of the solid and liquid cleansers.

12 Benefits Instant Healthy Hair Treatment ($26): A leave-in conditioner that's supposed to detangle, hydrate, protect and repair past damage. You can use it on wet or dry hair. It smells good and it's always nice to try out different leave-in conditioners. I'm not too loyal with hair products, so this will be put to good use. 

Harvey Prince Hello Perfume ($62): A perfume that mingles cheerful citrus with floral notes. I tend to like fresh floral scents, but this isn't fresh enough for me. I'm terrible at describing scents but this isn't a scent I'd personally wear even though it does smell nice. Maybe I'll use it as a room spray or something like that.

Jelly Pong Pong Glow Getter Highlighter ($16.50): It's described as a weightless gel formula that gives skin a subtle, pearlescent shimmer. Unfortunately, it's just straight up shimmer and sparkle with a watery consistency. Definitely not something I would use at all. I don't know what I'm going to do with it. 

Perlier Revitalizing Body Butter - White Almond ($19.50 - $29.50): This is an Italian skincare brand and the body butter is supposed to improve tone and elasticity. I don't find that this is as thick as most typical body butters, but it is light and sinks into the skin quickly. As for the scent, I'm quite picky with scents and this smells like hotel bathrooms or public washrooms that have just been cleaned. I really dislike that scent. I'll probably give this away or try to use it up in some way. 

In the end, there are only two items, maybe three if you count the body butter, that I truly will use and enjoy. I'm just glad that the Beauty Blender was included and that in itself paid for the cost of the box. I'm still not convinced that subscription boxes are that great, but to each their own!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Template designed By The Sunday Studio.